- 1 lb. malto-dextrin
- 12 oz. flaked barley
- 1/2 teaspoon in glass for fining
- 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
- London Ale (Wyeast 1028) or Burton Ale (White Labs WLP023) or (seasonal) London Ale (WLP013)Malts:
- 6.6 lbs. John Bull plain light malt extract syrup10 oz. crystal malt (20° Lovibond)
- 10 oz. crystal malt (80° Lovibond)
- 10 oz. crystal malt (120° Lovibond)
- 1 lb. chocolate malt
- 1.5 lbs. Munich malt (20° Lovibond)
- 8 AAU German Northern Brewer hops (1 oz. of 8% alpha acid)
- 5 AAU Liberty hops (1.5 oz. at 3.7% alpha acid)
Steep the 6 grains in 3 gallons of water at 150º F for 30 minutes. Strain out the grains, and add the malto-dextrin and malt syrup and return to a boil. When the wort begins boiling, add Northern Brewer hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add the Liberty hops for the last 5 minutes of the boil.
Cool wort in an ice bath or with wort chiller. Transfer to primary fermenter and add enough cold water to bring the volume up to 5.5 gallons. Pitch yeast and oxygenate-aerate well. Ferment this beer on the warm side, at 72º F as per the brewer’s instructions, for 7 to 10 days. Add the isinglass to the beer after fermentation is complete to help achieve clarity. Prime, bottle and age for about two weeks.